You raised your children to have wings and now they have left the nest. What nerve! But actually, what your child is doing is very brave. It's a different world out there than when my husband and I were dating, going to school, and finding jobs. They are moving into the next, exciting chapter of their own adventure book called LIFE. But guess what? You are too!
This is no great mystery, but when it actually happens to you, it is life altering. When my kids each entered high school, I knew the countdown had already begun. What I wouldn't give to change another dirty diaper, wipe snot, or clean dinner off the floor. The tears were already coming when we were just visiting college campuses. Then Marriage? I'll spare you those details for now -- I'm out of Kleenex. Anyway, too soon the house was empty.....
One thing I do want you to realize though, is -- it is OK to mourn for awhile! You just ended an 18-year "chapter" of your own adventure book. My husband and I both went through a mourning period; it was therapeutic. During this time, we laughed, cried, and shared some fantastic memories and hopes for the future. We decided we did a pretty darn good job raising our children after all. We tried to remember what it was like B.C. (before children). It was time to be a couple again.
Then came the epiphany and I thought I was EINSTEIN (with auburn highlights)! We had survived. Plain and Simple. You will too. You are still writing your own story together; I want to encourage you to communicate and reconnect with your spouse. You'll be glad you did!
My husband and I still have a lot of chapters to experience in this book called "The Great Unknown". I just hope it's not based on a Stephen King Novel......
Til next time!
No comments:
Post a Comment